Friday, March 9, 2012

Refreshing Quinoa Salad

About a third way through the month and I've kind of gone down hill a little with my drinking enough water goal. I have, on the other hand, exercised every day. I do find it easy to drink water during and just after a workout but not really any other time. Not sure if I said this already but I also decided I'm not going to weigh myself every day because not seeing an immediate change is a little depressing. I need to be realistic, change is not immediate. It takes hard work and time, so I will try not to let it get to me.
Tomorrow I will be posting pictures of a Quinoa salad I am going to make, recipe from the Jan/Feb 2011 issue of Vegetarian Times. It sounds delicious and I am looking for new recipes for quinoa, because it is delicious and sooo healthy. This is the recipe, if I decide to make any changes I will post that with the pics. :)

Refreshing Quinoa Salad
Serves 12, 30 minutes or fewer
(Vegetarian Times)
1 1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 English cucumber, peeled and finely diced (2 1/2cups)
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely diced (1/4cup)
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (1/2cup)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
3 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp grated lemon zest

1. Bring 2 quarts salted water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 12 to 14 minutes, or until quinoa is tender and small "tails" bloom from grains.
2 Preheat oven to 400F. Spread pine nuts on baking sheet, and toast 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool, then transfer to large serving bowl.
3. Drain quinoa, and rinse under cold running water. Drain again. Add quinoa to pine nuts, and stir in cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and parsley. Fold in oil, lemon juice, and lemon zest, add season with salt and pepper, if desired.

Doesn't that just sound delicious?!

Per 1/2-cup serving 167 cal, 4g protein, 10g total fat, 17g carb, 0mg chol, 53mg sodium, 2g fiber, 2g sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment